Monday, August 29, 2005

Setting up a CVS download of Eclipse so I can get to development....

CVS is available for windows at:
http://www.wincvs.org/download.html

I downloaded it today, and tried to get into the eclipse CVS site using WinCVS, but wasn't successful. It's easier just to use Eclipse directly.

Instructions for setting up CVS for eclipse, for both committers, and common slobs like me:
http://dev.eclipse.org/cvshowto.html.

Still haven't gotten all the source downloaded yet, my connection is slow for big bulk downloads. I think it's my home DSL ISP, not the eclipse servers, because it runs fast when I download from the network at work.

Dirk replied quickly to my bug comment, as he did to the original submission.

------- Additional Comment #3 From Dirk Baeumer 2005-08-29 04:24
[reply] ------- John,
something we have to keep in mind is the fact that the current "New Java File"
template is API. Clients can create a new CU using the CodeGeneration API class
which basically forwards to StubUtility. We have to make sure that current
clients will not get broken by "reusing" the current ${type_declaration}
variable. So before going down that path we need to investigate what your
approach means regarding API and backwards compatibility.
I still tend to introduce a new variable (it avoids all the API and
compatibility issues). What we can do is adding a new varaible ${type_content}
which is a sub variable like you suggested.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dirk -
OK, I can set it up as a new variable: ${type_content}.
I am still concerned about the user experience with both the ${type_declaration} and the ${type_content} variables available. It seems it is asking for confusion along the lines of "I changed the definition in ${type_content} but the new generated class still didn't change..." because they were using ${type_declaration} and didn't notice the difference. I assume it will be easy enough to change if I get it working this way, and it looks like the API and regression tests can still work with the re-implementation. It seems to me it will be dependent on how we integrate the new changes, but since I haven't done it yet, I can't prove it one way or the other.
Got CVS set up, and I'll try to run the original tests next.

That's all for tonight. Next comes downloading the source and running the current test suite....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home